I recently ran an 8K. Since I’m not a very serious runner, I needed motivation in the form of music. I used Spotify for this purpose, and titled it “running music” (I know, very creative). The thing about my playlist is that, despite the name, it is really not just limited to “running-tempo” music. My “running music” playlist does not have the classic inspirational songs that people think of when they are exercising, like the theme song to Rocky, or the theme song to Chariots of Fire, instead I like to think of myself as a girl with a wide range of taste in music. It would probably have been more accurately to name it “Songs that I love to belt out when I think I am by myself”, but that would’ve been too long.
My husband uses the same Spotify account when he is working in the OR, and unbeknownst to me, sometimes tells his colleagues to just pick a random playlist while they are doing surgery.
So the other day, my husband said to me, “Oh, we played your ‘running music playlist’ in the OR today.” My response was, “WHAT? YOU DID WHAT? WHY DID YOU DO THAT?” My youngest sister who happened to hear this conversation smirked and said, “Why are you so embarrassed of your taste in music?”
In the spirit of full disclosure, below are my top 10 songs on my “running music” list, in order of least to most embarrassing:
- Manic Monday – The Bangles I love the Bangles, and I do most of my running on Mondays (my day off), of course this makes sense.
- Wake Me Up Before You Go Go – WHAM! There are so many good 80’s songs!
- I Gotta Feeling – The Black Eyed Peas It’s got a good beat. It’s fun. Makes sense to run to it.
- ABC – Jackson 5 I don’t have a good reason for putting this song on my list besides the fact that it cheers me up.
- Hollaback Girl – Gwen Stefani B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
- You Can’t Stop the Beat – Nikki Blonsky (from Hairspray) Sometimes I imagine that my life is a musical…
- Bye Bye Bye – N’Sync I am a closet teenybopper, plus if I am running faster than someone else, I can think to myself, “bye bye bye”.
- Walk like an Egyptian – The Bangles. Ok, so I know it makes no sense that my “running” list has a song that has “Walk” in the title, but again, I love The Bangles.
- Hot Patootie – John Stamos (from the Rock Horror Glee episode) I grew up watching every episode of Full House, so why wouldn’t I love running to the sound of John Stamos crooning?
And last, but not least #10 My Humps – The Black Eyed Peas. There are no words to describe the awesomeness of this song. Don’t judge, I know there are some of you who love this song as much as I do.
So the next time you see that momma with the big jogging stroller running down the street, or look over to see that dorky Asian lady struggling to parallel park, it might be kind of surprising to know what she’s listening to. Now excuse me while I go download “Getting Jiggy With It” to my playlist.